Gone South 120 - Virginie, Marie & Arnaud

We've gone south for 120 days & invite you to join us (if only from a distance) on our trip through Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, Bolivia & Peru. The initial idea of doing it by car was temporarily abandoned due to lack of funds to rent a car. This obviously doesn’t rule out the purchase of a car somewhere along the road. Should you want to see what we're seeing, doing and enjoying, come back here & drop us a line! We'll try to keep this blog updated with photos & comments. Enjoy it!

Name:
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Rioooooooooooooooooooo!

We´re back! And this time from Rio!

There´s something about Brazil, I just can´t begin to explain.....it´s put some sort of a spell on us because we are all miraculously cured from any ilnesses we had in Bolivia, we wake up in good moods and we are all thinking of ways of coming back, maybe even moving here, and that before we have even left!
Rio is amazing and Brazilians are simply, adorable. While we were beginning to get worried that maybe our first impressions of Brazil had been exagerated, possibly because we had just arrived from cold, dark Europe, we are happy to find that all our first impressions have been re-confirmed. I have lost my heart to Brazil and know that I will have to come back here again and again.

Today we went to visit the Cristo redentor, or Christ the Redeemer at the top of the Corcovado mountain. We had a great taxi driver/guide who took us to some amazing view-points to get an overview of the vastness of Rio. It really is split up in very different areas and bays because it gets interrupted by all sorts of rock-formations in the sea. The guide, who originally lived in a favela was well keen on explaining the whole favela phenomenon and way of life there, which made me feel that the favela tour might actually be justified. I´m worried that, the way that Marie felt about the Potosi mines, we might come across as voyeurs who get some sick kick out of watching people´s misery. But speaking to our taxi-driver who was so keen on talking about it and showing favelas to us, made me realise that it is such an important part of Brazilian city life that it would almost be shameful not to know more about it. We´ll see....I´m still broke so I´m not sure if I can afford another excursion. And just writing that makes me think how disturbing that sounds....I am too broke to go into favelas....hummmm. We will really have to think this trough.
Anyway, I have got to cut this short since A and M are making a move and I´m not in the mood for walking home on my own through dark Rio.
I forgot to say that we actually never got to see the Christ! I was about to cry, standing there, knowing that seeing it must have given us such a powerful sensation and only being able to see his toes through the fog....

We at least have areason to come back!
I gotta go and will write again soon! Sorry about this very very rushed entry!

Besinhos!
Vigi

2 Comments:

Anonymous Geneviève et David said...

Rio...J'ai hâte de voir plus de photos. Les Breziliennes sont-elles aussi sexy qu'on dit (demande David derrière mon épaule). Nous revenons de 4 jours de congé de Pâques, ça fait du bien. On a fait le tour de nos familles, pris le temps de profiter du soleil et des délices d'érable (et oui, c'est le temps des sucres ici... ) et on se relance dans le boulot dès demain. On vous embrasse. Faites la fête à notre santé,xxx

3:42 am  
Anonymous papi said...

Hi travellers,
This blog has become awfully quiet! Virginie wrote last that she would be back soon, and that was a week ago! I think that all the faithfull followers of your voyage are impatient to get some stories and pictures from Rio.
Since BA decided that Virginie would not get home before the planned end of the trip on the 8th of May -to the big disapointment of some people over here-, you have been doing some new planning I guess. Let us know what the plans are.
But first give us your impressions from Rio. Your more than enthusiastic introduction on Rio made me anxious to learn more. I have never felt attracted to Rio, of which I have this idea of a huge, unmanageable, dangerous city....
I miss the best show on earth.
Lot's of love
Papi

5:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home